The Benefits Of Safety Signs
Safety First Because Injuries Last!
The most common accidents, slips or floor hazards associated with offices, retail or hospitality industries are wet floor related. A wet floor could be the result of anything like a leaking tap, machine spills, breakage or scheduled cleaning. Avoiding injuries and accidents on the job is vital to workplace efficiency and more so in the professional cleaning industry. The best way to prevent falls is to alert employees and visitors. Using 'Wet Floor' or 'Cleaning In Progress' signs are important to keep floors safe.
Marble, terrazzo tiles and other hard flooring are by nature slippery. These types of flooring are often found in bathrooms, lobbies and other high traffic areas. It is important to note that these types of areas would therefore be more slippery and hazardous when wet. Safety signs when cleaning these areas should not only be encouraged but mandatory.
Some ground rules when using safety signs:
- The sign should clearly read the action word. For e.g. 'Caution' or 'Wet Floor' and ideally also use images or icons for greater visibility and comprehension.
- Safety signs should be of a highly visible color.
- The sign should appeal to the widest possible demographic.
- The sign should be stable so that it doesn't fall over.
- It should be visible from at least 5 feet away.
A few points to consider:
- Place the sign right on top of the wet area.
- Remove the sign as soon as the floor dries or you finish cleaning the area. failure to do so reduces their effectiveness and over time desensitizes the public.
- Recent research has indicated that a humorous message like 'Wet Floor - Skate Don't Slip' is more effective than a simple 'Slippery When Wet'.
- A case in point are the banana signs. These signs have incorporated the banana peel into a safety cone that helps deliver the 'Don't Slip' message while adding a humorous tip!
We at Rapid Clean Newcastle 'Caution' you to consider all signs for your safety!